There are two advocacy efforts BIA-MA would like to bring to your attention:
1. FY'16 State of Massachusetts BUDGET PLANNING:
2. Your ACTION is requested in support of the COGNITIVE REHABILITATION BILL:
The Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts (BIA-MA) urges you to call your State Representative & State Senator to ask them to co-sponsor SD1790 & HD3343, a bill relative to cognitive rehabilitation.
This bill will ensure that commercial health insurance plans include cognitive rehabilitation services for individuals with acquired & traumatic brain injury.
The bill's benefits come at no cost to the state and will help reverse the trend of health costs currently dependent on state or federal funds when they are not covered by commercial health benefit plans. Key components of the bill, which are intended for commercial health benefit plans only, are highlighted below.
- Health benefit plans can not include any life time limitation or unreasonable annual limitation on the number of days for acute and post-acute care.
- The health benefit plan must also include coverage for reasonable expenses for periodic reevaluation.
- The health benefit plan must provide adequate training to personnel responsible for preauthorization of coverage or utilization review in order to prevent denial of coverage.
- Expansion of coverage for treatment facilities to include individual practitioners and treatment facilities qualified to provide acute and post-acute care.
BIA-MA needs your support to ensure that commercial insurers are required to cover cognitive rehabilitation. Your calls, visits and/or emails will make the difference. It is crucial that you act now!
Thank you for your support,
Brain Injury Association of Massachusetts
(508) 475-0032 firstname.lastname@example.org